Skip to main content

Become a Member of Post 149

Joining the American Legion and Post 149 is easy. Follow the 4 steps below.

  1.  Fill out the Post 149 Membership Form
  2.  Print it
  3.  Attach a copy of your DD Form 214
  4.  Submit the membership form, a copy of your DD214, and dues payment to our Post Adjutant.

Note: Your DD 214 contains your Social Security number. It is recommended that you black out your Social Security number prior to submitting your DD 214 for membership. After your eligibility is confirmed, your DD214 can be returned to you upon request. DD 214 forms left at the post will be shredded for security purposes.

Eligibility Information

To be eligible for membership in The American Legion, you need to have been assigned to at least one day of federal active duty service any time during the eligibility periods as determined by U.S. Government, and received an honorable discharge/discharge under honorable conditions, or currently serving in one of the U.S. Armed Forces. Are you eligible? Here are a few frequently asked questions regarding American Legion eligibility. For any other eligibility questions, feel free to contact us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or (760) 745-1159.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where is the post located and can I mail this information into the post?

Yes, you can mail your post membership application to the post at the following address.

American Legion Post 149
230 E Park Avenue
Escondido, CA 92025

Attn: Bill Stintsman, Post Adjutant

Q: Can I stop by the post, tour the post, and sign up in person?

Absolutely. We would love to meet you and help you get signed up. Contact the Post Adjutant for his schedule. You can also drop off a completed membership application with one of our clubroom bartenders to forward to our Post Adjutant. Our Post Adjutant will be in contact with you to complete your application.

Directions to American Legion Post 149

Q: What if I have additional questions about the post or need further information?

Contact our Post Adjutant, Bill Stintsman at (760) 745-1159 or email him at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Q: I’m currently on Active Duty. Am I eligible?

Yes. All current active duty military are eligible for membership.

Applicant must have served on Active Duty any time from December 7th, 1941 to Present. Merchant Marines must have served any time from December 7th, 1941 to August 15th, 1945. Applicant must have been Honorably discharged or still serving.

Q: I didn’t retire from the military, but was on active duty during one of the qualifying time periods.  Am I eligible?

Yes.  As long as you have served at least one day of federal active duty during any of the qualifying periods, you are eligible for membership.

Q: I served during one of the qualifying periods, but was never in a combat zone.  Am I eligible?

Yes. Location of active duty service is not a consideration for membership.

Q: I am currently in the National Guard/Reserve.  My unit was activated under Title 10 orders during a qualifying time period. Am I eligible?

Yes.  Title 10 orders are issued by the Secretary of Defense and therefore are federal orders.

Q: My National Guard unit was activated for crowd control under Title 32 orders during one of the qualifying periods.  Am I eligible?

No. Title 32 orders are issued under a governor’s authority, whereas Title 10 orders are issued from the Secretary of Defense.

Q: I am currently a cadet at one of the U.S. Military, Naval, Air Force or Coast Guard Academies.  Am I eligible?

Yes. The American Legion has considered service in the military academies as eligible for membership since WWI.

Q: Can I be an honorary or social member of The American Legion?

No. Per National Constitution and By-laws, no form or class of membership is authorized except regular active or paid up for life.

Q: I served my entire military career in the National Guard/Reserves, and only have a DD214 from my Active Duty for Training that I was in during one of the qualifying dates.  Am I eligible?

Yes. In the mid-60’s all basic training and occupational training schools were considered federal active duty service.

Q: I served active duty as a SPAR, WAC, WASP, or WAVES during one of the qualifying periods.  Am I eligible?

Yes.  Even though women served separately than men, their service is equal.

Q: I served with allied military forces during one of the qualifying periods.  Am I eligible?

Yes, only if you were a U.S. citizen at the time of entry.

Q: I served with the Civil Air Patrol/Civilian Technical Corps/USPHS as a civilian during two qualifying periods.  Am I eligible?

No. Eligible members must have federal military service during a qualifying period and received an honorable discharge or discharge under honorable conditions.

Q: I enlisted and went to basic training, but received an uncharacterized discharge due to a medical condition.  Am I eligible?

Yes.  Uncharacterized discharges are assumed to be under honorable conditions unless specifically stated otherwise.

Q: I am eligible for The American Legion, but do not have a copy of my DD214 to show as proof of eligibility.  How can I get one?

You can go to to request another copy of your discharge papers. A copy of orders putting you on federal active duty can be used as proof of eligibility as well.